Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Where's My Doctor?

This week, we made an app called, "Where's My Doctor?"  The 'Where's My Doctor' app lets you find you doctors in an efficient way. You are able you look up their address and their name to see where they are on a map.  You can also store your doctors and later pick them from a list.  

This was a difficult app.  I used code blocks that I haven't used before and I didn't really know their functions, but then I got to know what their functions were. At first, I had no confidence in myself to do this hard app but when I paired up with my friend, she really did help me and give me the courage to do my best in this app. As I began to work on it, I immediately figured out that reading the instructions more than one time is key.  With a more complex app, if you make a tiny mistake while coding, it can affect the whole app experience. Even though the app may look simple, there is a lot that goes into coding an efficient app. Compared to a game, it requires more blocks, variables, and procedures. One of the biggest components is Google Maps, which requires advanced code and made our app feel more like a real app. It's a mature app which could be used in the real world.  



Building the Where’s My Doctor app was really important to me because it felt like I was doing something productive and that was going to help someone else. As opposed to a game, I felt like it was more fun because it was me, a normal 13 year old, adding complicated and complex parts that most adults do not recognize.  That was super awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be sent to Mrs. Costello. If approved, it will appear on the website by the morning of the next school day.